Wednesday, March 4, 2009

DeLa Soul ft Common - Days Of Our Lives

So for the past few days, I've been listening to De La Soul - The Grind Date. Not sure how you all feel about this album, but I think it's an under the radar classic! I'm catching lines and verses now that I don't know how I missed. If you have the album, listen to the track with Common. It's called Days of Our lives. Pos spit a hip hop quotable. I know the text doesn't have the same effect so I encourage yo all to listen to that song. He got me with the secondhand rhymes line b/c i know so many "rappers" that say they don't write their lyrics and can just hear the beat and go in the booth. That's so whack because what happens is that it sounds like you don't write and it sounds like you should stop rapping. If you're gonna rap, but some effort into it. Here it is:

I furnished the rooms, and mortgage on these
See them quittin ass rappers caused a shortage on these
The soul boys of big illa-noyz get the praise
We break it down in these three ways

My moms died from secondhand smoke;
so I wish yo' ass would diefrom them secondhand rhymes you wrote
Or shall I call them second rhymes - written seconds 'fore you enter the booth
Words thrown together with very little truth
And a select few can do it (true) you ain't part of them scriptures
And got the nerve to feel you want me out the picture
But I was never in it, I'm the frame around the flick
Or dishin in the mouth of your dame around my dick
Ladies and gentlemen, introducin Workmatic
One of L.I.'s finest, and this is "MY LIFE"
Which is filled with bad minutes and good hours
and, good months and bad years and with my peers
we struggle to juggle the shit
Family life and the music game don't easily fit
My lady wants me home, sayin rap tour three rap whores
and scores of scandal, even more than we can handle
Sometimes, the rhymes I say
Is the fly the currency to save the day
Can't turn it away, cause we out
to find presennce way beyond our measure, so baby don't pout

No comments:

Post a Comment